Design to simulate pickup at different RPM to test TCI, ACCDI, DCCDI, Tachometers, Power valves and ignition coils and to extract the advance curve from a Digital TCI or CDI.
- Range 1000 to 24,000RPM in 24 steps.
- Simulate a VR (Variable Reluctance AKA Pickup coil) with both polarities: Positive than Negative or the opposite.
- Pickup “Position” relative to TDC is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees BTDC.
- Simulate a rotor spoke length that define the delay between first and second pulse.
The “length” is adjustable from 0 to 80 degrees.
The simulated pickup signal is 30Vpp (+15v to -15v) or can be reduced to 20Vpp (+10v -10v) with jumper N°2.
(Output current : +700mA and -300mA)
If the CDI/TCI pickup input is highly capacitive, use jumper N°1 (L for Load) to connect a pull down resistor on the circuit.
3 + 4: NP
5 + 6: PN
6 : P
4 : N
MEASURE ADVANCE TIMING.
The most advanced feature!
- With the help of a Capacitive Probe or a wire winded up around the sparkplug wire, this tester can measure the time that goes by between the makeup pickup and the spark and display the advance timing of the TCI/CDI under test.
To test an ACCDI you will need an external High Voltage power supply.
- During extraction, Advance timing is send on live to a PC in CSV format via Serial USB at 115200-N-8-1
- Detect RPM limiter (No Spark detected = no Advance displayed)
- Can test Digital CDI/TCI (Electronic ignitions with processor inside.)
Cannot test simple analog CDI like GY6 (They only use resistors and capacitors and the advance timing comes mainly from the voltage of the VR, not from inside those CDI.)
- Better accuracy is reached when WIDth is set to “0“.
ACCDIs need a charging coil that provide 100 to 300Volts.
An optional HV source driven by this Tester is available here.
You can use the main power toward a isolation transformer (Wiring) but keep in mind the main frequency will limit the RPM reachable by the ACCDI ! (50Hz = 3000rpm max, 60Hz = 3600rpm max)
- How a pickup works?
- Version v4r4c0:
- Supersede CDI Tester v4 and Scope.
- Version v4r4c0: